2011-02-20

The Shinkansen



THE SHINKANSEN


Many travellers to Japan feel that one must see Mt. Fuji to make their trip complete. While I don't disagree, I should not having climbed it six times, I do think the single best Japanese experience is the Shinkansen.

The Bullet train as it is affectionately know to us foreigners is a hyper experience of modern mechanization. It is a train like no other because it is operated by people like no other.
The hustle and bustle of any Japanese train station is immediately quelled when you step on board this platypus nosed creation. Immediately, and I mean immediately, the Shinkansen silently departs and the platform conductor bows to you as he sends you on your way.
Then the on board conductor trips the electronic eye and silently enters your car, he bows too. Graciously he makes his way to your seat, clips your ticket and as he exits the car, he bows again.
Next, the refreshments cart. A female attendant enters your car, she bows and lilting entreats you to bento boxes or coffee, tea, etc. Mesmerized, I watch as she bows again as she exits.
I have to go to the restroom at the front of the car. I quietly get up go to the door which opens as I approach. I get this now. I turn and bow to the car as I leave to releave myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment