2011-02-22

The Wonder of Baggage Delivery



HOTEL-TO-HOTEL BAGGAGE DELIVERY
I am the ultimate proponent of take only what you care comfortably carry yourself. Because of this credo, my normal suitcase is a backpack.

On this trip, I was given the opportunity to have my backpack shipped from hotel to hotel and may in future adopt a more liberal view of proportion and self-porterage.

Takuhaibin is a convenient service available in Japan for sending luggage door to door nationwide.

Here's how it worked for me: After two days in Tokyo, I was scheduled to travel to Kyoto. I got up the morning of my departure, showered, dressed, packed my backpack and took it to the lobby bell desk. I then proceed to board the Shinkansen Bullet train to Kyoto.

On arrival I was met and whisked to a Japanese French fusion lunch at the wonderful Okumura Restaurant in the ethereal Gion District . This was followed by a visit to the iconic Golden Pavilion, Kinkakuji Temple.

After a further stop at Kiyomizu Temple with it's breathtaking hilltop views of the city, I was taken to the Hyatt Regency Kyoto, next door to Sanjusangndo Temple. After check-in, there in my room I find my backpack.
Yamato Transport started the service in the 1970s and remains the market leader with their Takkyubin service. Although it is a registered trademark, Takkyubin commonly refers to takuhaibin services in general. Other major companies include Sagawa Express (Sagawakyu) and Nittsu (Perikanbin).

Tourists with limited ability to lift and haul their baggage can conveniently have it shipped from arrival airports to hotels and from hotel to hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment